Friday, January 20, 2012

Hermit.

This morning I sat down to read out of a book that was suggested to me by my therapist a few weeks ago.
Slowly I have let its full bearded claws dig into my groomed soul and really do the work needed to me by God.
Many things in this book have paralleled my current being and have regurgitated thoughts that before I read them was not aware of their existence.
This morning in particular though I read a story that rang true to my heart and I would like to share it with you...
"There was a harried executive who went to the desert father and complained about his frustration in prayer, his flawed virtue, and his failed relationships. The hermit listened closely to his visitors rehearsal of the struggle and disappointments in trying to lead a christian life. He then went into the dark recesses of his cave and came out with a basin and a pitcher of water.
""Now watch the water as I pour in into the basin,"" the hermit says. The water splashed on the bottom and against the sides of the container. It was agitated and turbulent. At first the stirred-up water swirled around the inside of the basin; then it gradually began to settle, until finally the small fast ripples evolved into larger swells that oscillated back and forth. Eventually, the surface became so smooth that the visitor could see  his face reflected in the placid water. "" That is the way it is when you live constantly in the midst of others,"" said the hermit. "" You do not see yourself as you really are because of all the confusion and disturbance. You fail to recognize the divine presence in your life and the consciousness of your belovedness slowly fades."" - Abba's Child by Brennan Manning.

So much of my time is spent conversing and analyzing my walk with God, and trying to understand his ways. Which is something he wants us to live out but I have been going about it all wrong. We are made for relationships, but without really knowing my own belovedness how can I touch the sacredness of others? Simply resting in the solitude of silence can bring that truth and that deep sense of belonging that so many of us stray away from because we think that it must be more complex than what is spoken to us simply in the word of God. Finding my Identity in God is something I have always strived to accomplish but its really about walking with God in everything I do and that is where I will find his identity and with that I will find mine. Gods love is simple, don't let the ways of the world let you think anything different loves.

-M

No comments:

Post a Comment