Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The New Happy Pill?

      As I gaze towards the front of class, among the company of 200 pairs of eyes, there I was under a trance. "Hypnosis works for headaches aye? "My friend whispered next to me, I nodded, eyes still fixated on the mind bending exercise. Right when the thought snapped in my head I wanted to silence it, but it was already crackling like a fresh bonfire in mid-september. "Hypnosis is a state of mind," My professor convincingly pronounced, as my gawking eyes pivoted toward his silky red shirt, that was mesmerizing enough minus the prolific talk. All that was in me wanted to shout out "Heartbreak! Could you hypnotize heartbreak?," but the omnipresent voice of insecurity quieted my eagerness right away. If hypnosis can silence the voice of physical pain, why not emotional? Petty, right? Although in my case, I have taken a front seat, one way, soaring straight into this foreign land for a few years now and was ready for a rescue mission. So could hypnosis be the new " Happy pill" of the 20th century? And if it did have the ability to lace your pain with forgetfulness then would time still heal it? Now isn't that a mesmerizing thought.

1 comment:

  1. Mooool, why did it take me so long to read thiiis.. cause I'm a WEENIE. but really, I love this language. "like a fresh bonfire in mid-september." love. by the way, I'm about to make up for not doing this earlier. stay tuned.

    ReplyDelete